Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"The Gift of an Ordinary Day" by Katrina Kenison























Sometimes we see or experience something that helps put life in prospective. I was reading reviews on books last night and came across the book "The Gift of An Ordinary Day" by Katrina Kenison. I thought it was very well put. It reminded Mothers to treasure each day they have with their children. Yesterday was a perfect example of why we should cherish every day. A friend lost his 6 month old baby to leukemia. The video is heartfelt so please take a few minutes to view it. Oh, you might better grab a tissue.

I feel so honored and privileged to be able to provide childcare for my two grandsons several days each week. I think grandmothers know better than anyone how precious those little lives are. You know, we are older and wiser! We remember when we were caught up in the fast track of parenting and were just keeping our head above water. Motherhood can be a stressful and draining job and we don't always take time to appreciate those little moments. Now that I am a grandmother, I know everyday I spend with my little guys is precious and a true gift from God.
Today, I promised the 3 year old that I would take him to the park after we ran a couple of errands. While we were out, we went to Whole Foods to pick up a few snacks for school and our fresh fruit (organic of course). While we were there, the little guy was amused by the wady (lady) in the baftub (bathtub) so I told him I would take a picture so he could show his Mommy. We must have spent about 20 minutes with the wady (smelling all of her soaps and bubble baths). (see pic)

On the way home, we stopped by a park that we have never taken the kids to. There was also a butterfly garden and a barn with hay but no animals. Well, just the squirrels, and they were way too friendly. You really had to watch out for them as they would walk right across your foot. They were getting into all of the baby strollers that were there. (see pic)

We got home in time for lunch so we cut up a delicious fruit salad with peaches, strawberries, apples, grapes, banana and kiwi. I do believe the boys could live on fruit alone! It is our go to food when they won't eat anything else. We seared whole wheat pita in a tiny amount of olive oil and had it with a scoop of garlic hummus. Another favorite of the boys! (see pics) For dessert we had a chocolate chip cookie(or two)!

We took the dog for a walk, put a puzzle together, painted a few pictures and it was time to pick the kindergartener up. It was a wonderfully "ordinary day" and I know we are making some really great memories that I will certainly cherish and hopefully my little guys will too.

Terreckly,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment