Friday, January 28, 2011

Fun Traditions make great memories

If you think back to happy and fun times, it probably involves some family memory or tradition you have shared.  I recall a couple traditions from my childhood that bring a smile to my face each time I am reminded of them.  Each New Year's Eve, my sister, cousin and I would spend the night with our grandparents.  We would arrive in time to grocery shop with Nana so we could each pick out our own selection of "junk food".  She would help us make dip for our chips, cookies and anything else we wanted to "whip up".  Nana would sit up with us while we brought in the New Year but Gramps never could make it past 8:00.  She never complained about the mess we made in the kitchen or the numerous blankets and pillows we used to make tents in front of the TV.  The fun memories of those New Years Eves will be with me forever.  Another favorite tradition of my childhood is shooting off fireworks with our neighborhood families each holiday. 

Making memories with children cultivates happiness.  Shared memories can foster a loving, healthy environment for the entire family unit.  Each year for the past five years my family has spent a week together at Hilton Head, S.C.  There are currently nine of us and next year, with our new addition, we are planning on ten.  Once our children graduated from college and began to set up their own households, we decided we needed to begin a tradition that would bring us all together.  We needed a place that was far enough away from home and work that those "workaholics" in the family would not be tempted to check in but close enough that we didn't waste a lot of time traveling.  The first year there, we fell in love with the bike trails, golf courses, ocean, shopping, horse stables, restaurants and many other things about that beautiful island.  Our days are fun filled and our evenings are spent grilling out, playing board games, cards and putting together jigsaw puzzles.  A lot of good conversation at the dining room table!  This year we burned the midnight oil and managed to put together 5 puzzles.  Fun Times!!  


Sharing a moment with hubby on a cold winter day!

The little guys had a blast on the beach with Mommy



What a way to bring in the New Year!!

Our little sand angel!

Hours and hours of bike riding

On my bike and ready to cruise

Lots of exercise helps with early bedtimes for the little guys

Me and my beautiful Mother

A rare moment!

Having a ball in the sand

 
Puzzles

Puzzles
and more puzzles!!
Making traditional memories and building bonds with my children, their spouses and my grandchildren are extremely important to me.  When we get together, we share stories and memories of our times there and I am sure we will be telling those tales for years to come.  It warms my heart to know that my grandsons are growing up with such treasured memories. Terreckly, Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment